Wednesday, 26 March 2014

School based learning W5

This week at SBL the focus was on the structure of a maths and science lesson. I also had a one on one chat with a year 6 student about learning and attending a school swimming lesson/outing.

Highlights
Being in a fun year 5 and 6 class where the kids all just worked together. The classroom culture was awesome and the teacher was really approachable and I enjoyed being in the class. Felt like I genuinely was welcome and could help out.

Challenges
Staying focused in a year 1 class. The teacher was on CRT and it was an ex teacher from the school and she knew the kids and they all behaved but I found it was a little out of sync and that I didn't really get anything out of it. Year 1's on there own are a challenge but I managed to build a relationship with a few of them so that was good.
I had a student in a yr 2 class that was calling me a different name, I corrected him 4 times and he was doing it on purpose and telling others kids to call me that too, none did but I then turned to him and said, this is my name and I would like you to say it correctly and call me by that thank you, it's not very nice when you get called another name by someone when they know your correct one, I use your name so please give me the same respect. Then he quickly changed his tune.
I still feel in a few classes that I don't know what I can and can't do.
Not to laugh at a child who is just so polite and 'smooth' with the teacher. A really sweet kid, and very over the top sweet funny. He said "oh excuse me please mrs x I can't see the board" then mrs x moved to the side and he said "oh thank you lovely". How could you not giggle at that. A 7yr old.

What I learnt
That teachers do speak about students in the staff room quite regularly. Not bad things but about there past challenges and what they are doing now. I find it interesting. I didn't find it unprofessional, I thought they were helping each other out, although they did use names.
I learnt a new way to motivate a senior class. "The dollar system" I took some photos as evidence but I really liked this strategy to get the class to behave and do tasks.
Learnt about the schools swimming program.
I learnt that I don't want a new entrant yr1 class. It's mentally draining. A lot of tears from the kids I miss there mums.
I learnt that a day in school when you haven't slept well is challenging, so go to bed early on SBL nights.
To be almost aggressive with the teachers who's classes I'm in with what I can do. Get in there right away. They like it when I say "what would you like me to do"

I feel annoyed that one of the CT's is making the rest of us look bad. When a teacher has a complaint about one of us it reflects badly on all of us, and this frustrates me as I am trying my best to stand out in the classes and be a professional and form those professional relationships with the staff. I wish the MT did name and shame that CT so they step up to the mark that the rest of us are at.

No comments:

Post a Comment