Wednesday, 5 March 2014

School based learning W2

Highlights
Being in a first year teachers class. Fresh ideas and class room set up was outstanding. Built a great rapport with this teacher and feel quite comfortable asking him simple questions. And felt he was open and honest in his answers.
Having students read to me, is such a highlight. I picked out some students that were in a lower reading group and they read me books. Great to see them trying and knowing that I can help them with there words is exciting.
Meeting a known child that acts out and has behavioural issues and having him choose to sit next to me and do some reading and puzzle books in the library, I asked him his name (even though I knew who he was) and introduced myself and then we sat for awhile and chatted and read, was very cool to have control (this time). He also said hello to me while I was on duty at lunch.
Felt a lot more comfortable in the school around the teachers and students. The students all using my name out in the play ground. Seeing me on duty helped.

Challenges
Not getting frustrated with students that can't follow simple instructions, or had to continually tell to stop chatting and do what they are meant to be doing. The amount of students in the class that couldn't rule straight lines with a ruler was astonishing.

Learnt
That being a broken record helps!
To start the year of as a firm teacher so that everyone knows the rules and how to behave in your class, then you can soften as everyone is doing what they are meant to be doing later in the year.
That building relationships with your class is important early on.
How to teach and take a successful p.e lesson :)
Positive reinforcement works.

No comments:

Post a Comment